Sunday, November 9, 2008

*HeadDesk*

Oh my, this... this actually leaves me beyond speech. Other than the string of profanities, obviously. You don't actually *need* to follow the link but please remember its a blue post, for the love of god and the link has the source - should you be that interested.

Developer Q&A
1. I was under the impression that Holy was supposed to be the versatile healer, not the best at aoe, HoT, or direct healing, but capable of all. If you put the 6 sec CD on CoH wouldn't we be on par with Disc Priest casting PoH thus bumping us out of raids?
You are correct that Holy is supposed to be the versatile healer - w00t - so they do understand something. This is the reason I chose to play a priest, not a shaman or a paladin or a druid... CoH is preventing that because Holy priests are using it for a gigantic percentage of their healing. We're doing whatnow?? Who the fuck is doing this?? Certainly not me. The mana cost alone would preculde playing like this - not to mention the fact that the tank would, now what's the word I'm looking for here... oh yes, die, if anyone relied on CoH to heal through a whole raid. A priest who used only that spell and a priest who used their whole arsenal probably would not have a significantly different effect on group survival. That's a problem. Yeah it would be a problem for the priest who only CoH'd. The raid would wipe. The downtime for mana regen would be ridiculously stupid and we'd fall asleep from boredom.

2. If this nerf takes place people won't spec into it and holy we'll get another lolwell or lolnova. Give it up for the man who talks sense. I love my lolnova - but only when I'm blasting through Scholomance with Nao... As for lolwell, I give up with training anyone (Nao excluded, for obvious reasons) how to use it. That 3rd boss in MagT - the PvPish one? Please use lightwell guys? Not a hope...
I doubt that would be the case. If it's worth casting 10 times, it's worth casting once. Some may opt for other talents as well, but I think plenty will stick with CoH. If they put a 6 seconds cooldown on it - no they won't and it'll be gone from my talent tree faster than you can blink. Please don't give me shit about how many times it's worth casting. I can think of very few circumstances where I spam this - Nightbane's AoE rain of bones is one, Akil'zon, when we're all under the person's who's up in the air (too good a chance to get the raid health up a bit to pass on), very occasionally if we don't manage to stun the annoying elementals in kara. These are the only examples I can think of. Oh yes, and as an 'oh shit' button if we're about to wipe. God forbid we should have a tool to stop this!

3. It seems to me that since we can't downrank [That was a bad sign. One nerf usually pre-empts a second... and a third...ask the paladins in TBC and the post patch raid-utility druids] now spamming CoH would oom any healer too fast so how can this even be an issue? Uh-huh...
Making spells very expensive generally isn't received well. Gosh, give that man a cookie. He *really* gets this doesn't he? Players tend to blame their gear for not providing enough regen in order for them to "Spam CoH in order to remain competitive." Who??? Who does that? Seriously, tell me and I *will* roll a toon on their server and personally hunt them down and make their life hell. I can't see that it would take very long as I suspect it ain't a big list. We still do it sometimes, but it always requires a lot of explanation in order for players to understand how all their tools are intended to work. See I understand how my tools work. I understand that to get my lovely mana regen I can't have my lovely 'oh shit' button (as yet at least). What I fail to understand is why Blizzard appears to have not a single member of staff who plays a priest either a) at all or b) competently.

4. If we lose CoH (My personal favorite spell) what puts us on par with other healers. It seems to me this would decimate the holy tree. Uh-huh...
Holy priests are designed around versatility. Right now we are, yes. A Holy priest can be assigned to a tank, or to a melee group, or to general raid healing. See maybe they *do* get it... While it's possible for a spec in that niche to become the jack of all trades, master of none, we think Holy priests have actually been strongly desired healers throughout most of the history of WoW. Yes, this is why we rolled the class. Why we can only wear cloth. Why our health is so poor that we spend yonks getting one-shotted by Aran... if we couldn't live with these disadvantages we'd roll druid, paladin or shaman. But we live with it. We manage it. We, dare I say, love our disadvantages because they are so outweighed by the advantages. You have fast single-target heals, slower ones, hots, group heals, shields and smart heals. Yes we like the variety - why is that a problem?? Currently we believe a lot of those other heals look like poo because, to quote myself from another thread, Circle of Healing looks like the solution to every encounter challenge. You 'tard. You utter and complete fucktard. The non-CoH heals look like poo? To who exactly? The tank who we keep alive by Flash Heal now that Greater Heal is basically useless thanks to down ranking? The other melee who get healed by PoM? All the raid who gets HoTs chucked on them when they need a bit of extra oomph?

Oh god, I'm off to have a little weep. Everything about the class that I play and love, Blizz are trying to knacker. And for me, its not even about competition for raid slots, though I know that I am fortunate in that regard. My raid slot will be secure no matter what because I play with a very small guild who I will continue to play with in Wrath. It's about everything in that post. And it's also about the resto druids who are getting the same kind of nerf to their lovely raid heal - oh yes, they're ruining Wild Growth as well.


[EDIT] Pilf would like to sincerely apologise for the language and venom in that post but stands by the points she made.

No comments: